Thursday, July 8, 2021

Cozy Mystery Book Review ~ Solstice Spirits (Winter Witches of Holiday Haven) by Erin Johnson


Have yourself a very Merry Witchmas in July in Holiday Haven, where the magic and mystery of Christmas is snow joke!

Rudie Hollybrook, here! I love my quaint, magical town of Holiday Haven. It’s basically like living in a snow globe.

I’m killing it (oops) directing my family’s funeral home where I work with my two zany sisters and am head over heels for my boyfriend, the editor of the local paper. It’s all going swimmingly until the annual Summer Solstice pool party...when it all goes down in an avalanche of trouble.

Suddenly, I’m not the only witch in town who can see ghosts! My arch nemesis, Hayley Swift, is being haunted by the spirit of a dead beauty queen who died sixty years ago amid rumors of murder.

Even worse? The ghost seems to be warning Hayley that she’s in for the same, tragic fate!

Now, I’ve got to team up with my least favorite grinch to solve the decades old cold case and keep her out of trouble (even though Hayley seems to go looking for it). And to complicate matters, I overhear something that makes me fear I’ll soon have to pick between my beloved hometown and the man who has my heart!

Can I melt the mystery around the beauty queen’s death in time to save Hayley? And how will I make an impossible choice?

Solstice Spirits is the stand-alone sequel to Cocoa Curses. It’s a clean, cozy mystery with no gore or profanity. “If you love paranormal cozy mysteries, with witches, magic and small town drama you will love this book.”

Curl up with a cup of iced cocoa and get comfy on your beach towel for an escape to a charming town full of lovable, memorable characters, imaginative details, clever mysteries and jolly jokes that’ll have you in the holiday spirit, any time of year.

And be sure to read the other magical mysteries in the Winter Witches of Holiday Haven series.

Add to Goodreads https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/58460003-solstice-spirits

Purchase from Amazon https://amzn.to/3jZfDIM

Book Details:

ASIN: ‎ B097S2PHGY
Publication Date: ‎ July 8, 2021
Print Length: ‎ 121 pages

My Review:

Rudie is the only witch in Holiday Haven who can see ghosts.....Until she's not. When snobby and self-centered Hayley Swift shows up in the dead of night claiming she can see ghosts, of course she shows up in the middle of the night, when Rudie is sleeping. Hayley's long-dead aunt seeks Hayley out with a warning. Apparently someone is out to killer her just as the former-beauty queen was killed. Now, Hayley demands Rudie help her figure out what is going on. What ensues is the informal investigation into the death and some pretty serious revelations leaving not only the characters, but me, reeling.

Rudie is a fun, caring, and interesting character. She’s not perfect but continues to try and embrace who she is and her abilities. She reminds me of myself – non-confrontational and puts up with a lot of garbage from others. Her low self-esteem prevents her from standing up for herself. She does do a bit better regarding Hayley's demands but still has a long way to go to not be a doormat. I love the relationship Rudie has with her sisters Donna and Vix. When Archer enters the scene, Rudie lights up and I enjoyed her interactions with him. How he treats Rudie really impressed me. I enjoyed Rudie's scenes with Archer, with her sisters, and will everyone in a group.

I really enjoyed this paranormal cozy mystery and found the story, setting, and characters interesting and exciting. I was completely engaged in the story. There were some twists and turns in the quest to find out what happened to Hayley's aunt. There are multiple threads woven through Solstice Spirits, keeping the story fresh and interesting. The book was fast paced and easy to follow. I have yet to read an unlikable book by Erin Johnson. Her paranormal cozies are fun, include quirky but loveable characters, and an intriguing mystery.

I was provided a copy of this book to read.

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment